Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Day Of Amazingness

What a jam-packed day of amazingness I had today! (Forgive my made-up word.) We kicked off the day with a visit to a family in the village of Calea Mare, 30 minutes outside Oradea. They were such a precious family and I enjoyed the time we spent with them. To give you a picture of how incredible they are, listen to this: They have five biological children ranging in age from 3 to 15 and decided to take in another child that had been living under a bridge, taken care of by a drug-abusing father. The family was in no place financially to afford another child; the father, due to medical reasons, cannot get hired, and the mother only works part time. However, this family has a big heart and a big faith, so they stepped out with the love of God and took in this little girl. At the time, baby Maria was 11 months old (the same age as their youngest biological child) and now is a happy, healthy three year old. Watching the care the family lavishes on little Maria is so touching and you can tell by one look into her brown eyes that she knows she is loved.
Next I made my way to the hospital where I got to play with, rock, and feed all four of the babies in my assigned room. They blessed me even more than usual today and I thank God that I have to opportunity to be here doing what I'm doing.
Then after dinner, we had the opportunity to visit Sister Maria. This woman is nothing short of incredible and is a saint with many rewards awaiting her in heaven, I am certain. She is a prayer warrior and servant, two of the most humble positions you can be in, and she challenges you spiritually just by being in her presence. Her heart runs deep and her love for God is a mighty torrent flowing out of her in every way - her smile, her eyes, her words, her actions. Our time with her was moving beyond words and I can only pray that I can touch lives as profoundly as she touches all those who meet her.
At the end of a day so full of impacting moments, I just sit and let myself be overwhelmed by them. How can you possibly process and absorb so many precious memories and insights? I was in the presence of many different people who are silently changing the world and I am just awed at the reality of it. This was just an incredible day...

No comments:

Post a Comment