Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hello, Goodbye

Another full day today means I'm full of more stories. We got to visit another family that PULS helps today and the two little girls were adorable. The oldest was three, the youngest one, and their little personalities filled the room we were in. While there, we got to hear the story about how the mother was put out onto the street at the age of three (yes, THREE) and how by the grace of God she ended up with a husband, family, and a home. The twists and turns of the story were nothing short of divinely coordinated and it was a pleasure to spend time with her and her girls as she shared with us.
After this, I went to my shift at the hospital. I arrived to hear that the smallest baby in my room got to go home earlier that day because he was well enough (Praise the Lord!) and then during my shift, the twin boys were taken to their home. I and the nurse held our breath until the ambulance returned and we knew that they had indeed made it home. In the case of Romanian orphans, if the parents, grandparents, or family relative can be located, an ambulance will deliver the child/children to the address and give the children back. If the family member isn't home, however, the children will be returned to the hospital and the whole process will have to be repeated. The ordeals can get pretty hectic as I'm sure you can picture so I was happy to hear the chaos was averted for the twins' sake.
Seeing almost all the children I worked with the last two weeks leave was bitter sweet for me. Obviously I was happy that they got to return to their homes and see their families. But I'm also skeptical; you never know which of them will return and repeat the cycle. I want to believe that they'll go home and grow up healthy and loved but that's just not a guarantee. The other part of me wishes they would have stayed because at least at the hospital, I know they will be cared for and loved by our team and the nurses. That doesn't solve the problem, though. Seeing those babies leave today made my prayers for the parents that much stronger.
Lord, please get a hold of those parents; they hold precious little treasures in their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment